Jack Daniel's Whiskey Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Chocolate mousse is a decadent little treat for an after-dinner dessert, before dinner snack, or an anytime of the day kinda dessert. We filled shot glasses with our Jack Daniel's Whiskey Chocolate Mousse so one can get a little shot of chocolate with a hint of whiskey. This can be made a day ahead of time and left refrigerated till ready to serve. We topped ours with an optional bit of candied bacon (mmmm, bacon).
Before You Get Started Making Jack Daniel's Whiskey Chocolate Mousse
Measure/Weigh all of the ingredients
Have two heatproof bowls handy
Jack Daniels Whiskey Chocolate Mousse Ingredients & Amounts (Yields: ~4 cups)
4 oz (113g) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
2 tbsp (28g) unsalted butter
2 tbsp (30g) coffee
2 tbsp (28g) Jack Daniel's Whiskey
2 eggs (100g) separated
4 tbsp (50g) granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup (120g) heavy whipping cream
Jack Daniels Whiskey Chocolate Mousse Step-By-Step Directions
1) Fill a saucepan with an inch or so of water and bring to a simmer.
2) Use a double boiler, or place a heatproof bowl over the simmering water (making sure the bowl does not touch the water) and melt the chocolate, butter, and coffee together.
3) Remove from heat and stir in whiskey. Set this bowl aside.
4) In a separate heatproof bowl, whisk the two egg yolks with 2 tbsp of sugar over the pan of simmering water.
5) You will continue to whisk this mixture until it becomes foamy (cooking it just slightly).
6) When foamy, whisk the egg-yolk mixture into the chocolate bowl from step 2. Set aside.
7) With a stand mixer, or hand mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt, gradually adding 2 tbsp of sugar, until stiff peaks form.
8) Fold the stiff egg whites gently into the chocolate/egg yolk mixture from step 6.
9) Lastly, whip up the heavy cream until soft peaks form and then fold this into the chocolate mixture from the previous step.
10) Combine well. Refrigerate mousse to set and then serve.
Jack Daniels Whiskey Chocolate Mousse Sweet Notes
A lot of dishes will need to be washed in the making of this chocolate treat, but we think it's worth it
To whip up the heavy cream faster, place your mixing bowl and whisk/beaters into the freezer for a few minutes
We suggest to use a high-quality chocolate for this dessert, since chocolate is the star of the show
Looking for a substitution for coffee? Check out our baking substitutions
Recipe adapted from Tamara Novakovic