Before You Get Started Making Fig And Honey Crostatas
Measure/Weigh all the ingredients
Know that the dough must chill in the refrigerator, so plan accordingly
Fig And Honey Crostata Ingredients And Amounts (Yields 7 crostatas)
For the Crostata Dough
1 1/4 cups (175g) all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tbsp (31g) granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup or 12 tbsp (170g) unsalted butter - cold and cut into pieces
3 1/2 tbsp (51g) ice cold water
Honey and Fig Filling
9 purple or green figs - each cut into 4 wedges
1 1/2 tsp (11g) honey
1/2 tsp (3g) lemon juice
1/8 tsp thyme leaves - minced
1 (50g) egg - lightly beaten (used for an egg wash)
Honey and Fig Topping
5 purple figs - cut into 4 wedges
1 tsp (7g) honey
thyme sprigs for garnish
Honey And Fig Crostata Step-By-Step Directions
1) In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse for a few seconds.
2) Add the cold butter pieces to the food processor and pulse until the butter is the size of peas.
3) Add the ice cold water while pulsing until the dough comes together.
4) Place the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5) Once the dough has chilled, roll the dough out onto a floured surface to about 1/8th of an inch thick.
6) Cut out seven 5-inch circles and place on a silicone mat or parchment papered baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 more minutes. (You may need to cut out 2-3 circles, then reroll the scraps and cut out the rest of the circles)
7) While the dough is chilling, start on the filling.
8) In a bowl, cut each fig into 4 wedges. Toss them with the honey, lemon juice, and thyme.
9) Once dough circles are chilled, place 5 figs in the middle of the circle, leaving about an inch border of dough around the figs. Fold the edges over, brush the tops with egg wash, and chill for 30 more minutes.
10) Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Once the crostatas are chilled, bake them for 35 minutes or until golden brown, rotating halfway through baking. Once baked, let stand for 10 minutes to cool before putting on the topping.
11) While the crostatas are cooling, cut up each fig into 4 wedges and toss with the honey.
12) Place three figs on each crostata, garnish with thyme leaves, and enjoy.
Honey And Fig Crostata Sweet Notes
In order to cut out a 5-inch dough circle, find a bowl that has about a 5-inch wide mouth and trace around the bowl with a knife
Feel free to add more or less figs, and more or less thyme, into the dough circle