Cut-Out Sugar Cookies Recipe
These are no ordinary vanilla sugar cookies. They are crisp and buttery, perfect to be eaten alone, piped with royal icing, or decorated with a layer of sugar paste. Made to be used with cookie cutters large or small, this recipe is perfect for cutting out any shape or size your heart desires. Everything from dresses and beehives to elephants and chevrons.
Before You Get Started Making Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Measure/Weigh all the ingredients
Gather supplies: rolling pin, parchment paper, cookie cutter, cookie sheets, silicone mats
Line cookie sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper
Cut-Out Sugar Cookie Ingredients And Amounts (Yields ~12 medium-sized cookies)
3 cups (420g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (4g) baking powder
1/2 tsp (3g) salt
1 cup/2 sticks (227g) unsalted butter- softened but still have a slight chill
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
1 (50g) egg - cold
2 tsp (8g) vanilla extract
1/8 tsp lemon extract or almond
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies Step-By-Step Directions
1) In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer (or mixing bowl if using a handheld mixer) combine butter and sugar and mix for 3 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3) Turn mixer to low and add cold egg. Mix for 30 seconds or until completely incorporated.
4) Add in vanilla and lemon extract, mix for 15 more seconds.
5) Slowly add in dry ingredients from Step 1 until all combined.
6) If not baking cookies right away, wrap cookie dough well with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
7) If using the cookie dough right away, place the cookie dough on a piece of parchment paper.
8) Place 1/4 inch wooden skewers on either side of the dough
9) Place another piece of parchment paper on top. Roll out the cookie dough with a rolling pin using the wooden skewers as your guide.
10) Once you have rolled out your dough, place the parchment paper on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for an hour.
11) Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F).
12) Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator and cut the shapes of your choice.
13) Place the cut-out shapes onto a cookie sheet and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
14) After 15 minutes in the freezer, bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden brown.
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies Sweet Notes
If you do refrigerate the dough, let it sit out for a few minutes and then roll it out onto the parchment paper as stated in the steps above. The dough is harder to roll out but will soften as you roll. You may need to place the dough back in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to firm up before using the cookie cutters
These cookies are even more delicious when decorated with royal icing or buttercream
It's important to place the cookies in the freezer for 15 minutes so the cookies don't spread, don't skip that step
Recipe adapted from Sweetapolita