American Buttercream Frosting Recipe
There are tons of recipes for American buttercream, some with all shortening, some with all butter, and some like ours that are a combination of both. This American buttercream recipe is smooth, sweet, and delicious. This recipe pipes beautifully, tastes great with any cake flavor, can withstand the heat in the summer, and is a crusting buttercream for easy smoothing.
Before You Get Started Making American Buttercream Frosting
Measure/Weigh all the ingredients
Take butter out to come to room temperature
American Buttercream Frosting Recipe Ingredients And Amounts (Yields ~6 cups)
1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter - room temperature
1 and 1/2 cups (286g) vegetable shortening
1/8 tsp (pinch) salt
2 tbsp (26g) vanilla extract
7 and 1/2 cups/2lbs (907g) powdered sugar - we recommend sifting the powdered sugar after measuring
1/4 cup + 1 tsp (65g) whole milk - start with 1/4th cup of milk and add the extra teaspoon if you need it
American Buttercream Frosting Step-By-Step Directions
1) In your stand mixer's mixing bowl, combine butter and shortening and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
2) Add vanilla on low till combined.
2) Place your mixer on stir speed, add about 3 cups of powdered sugar, then stir in some milk.
3) Continue adding the rest of the powdered sugar, milk, and pinch of salt.
4) Whip the frosting on medium speed for 6-7 minutes and then on low for 2 more minutes.
5) Add the extra teaspoon of milk if you want a smoother texture. If you're frosting a cake, check out this free online frosting tutorial from Craftsy for some tips.
American Buttercream Frosting Sweet Notes
If you have leftover frosting, you can refrigerate it for 6-7 days or freeze up to 3 months. Don't forget to label and date your frosting
This is a crusting buttercream in which you can smooth the frosting using the Viva paper towel method. Check out Edna's tutorial on frosting a cake and smoothing using the Viva paper towel method
This buttercream is on the thicker side, you may need to thin it down with water or milk depending on the consistency you would like