7 Layer Magic Cupcakes Recipe
It's hard to say no to seven layers of goodness: graham cracker crumbs, pecans, chocolate chips, white chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, and sweet milk. Many of you may have had this 7-layer treat in bar form, but we thought why not turn them into cupcakes? No cutting involved... just peeling, biting, and smiling.
Before You Get Started Making 7 Layer Magic Cupcakes
Measure/Weigh all the ingredients
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)
Prepare two cupcake pans with a total of 14 cupcake liners
7 Layer Magic Cupcakes Ingredients and Amounts (Yields 14 Cupcakes)
1 1/2 cups (185g) graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (65g) finely chopped pecans
1 cup (200g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (100g) white chocolate chips
1/2 cup (100g) butterscotch chips
1 cup (115g) sweetened coconut (toasted - see directions below)
1 cup/8 oz (225g) sweetened condensed milk
7 Layer Magic Cupcakes Step-By-Step Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degree (F).
2) Begin by toasting the coconut by spreading the coconut on a baking sheet and baking for about 5 minutes on 350 degree (F). Once the coconut begins to brown lightly, take it out of the oven and set aside.
3) Melt the butter in the microwave. When fully melted, add it to the graham cracker crumbs and stir together well.
4) With your cupcake lined cupcake pan, spoon in 2 tablespoons of graham cracker mixture into each cup - you should get 14 cupcakes.
5) Press the graham cracker crumbs down firmly. We used a tart tamper to pack our crumbs tightly, but you can use your fingers or a spoon. Just make sure you pack the crumbs down firmly.
6) Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of finely chopped pecans to each cup and press down.
7) Then add 1 tablespoon of semi-sweet chocolate chips to each cup. Press these down lightly.
8) Next add 1 teaspoon of white chocolate chips to each cup. Press down lightly - are you noticing the pattern yet?
9) Add 1 teaspoon of butterscotch chips to each cup. Guess what? Press down lightly.
10) Next, sprinkle toasted coconut on top, evenly among the cupcakes and, surprise, press down lightly.
11) Last, pour 1 tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk over each cupcake. Pour it in the middle of the cupcake, letting it spread to the sides on its own. You don't want to pour it on the sides, because it will get sticky, making the cupcake liners difficult to remove.
12) Let the cupcakes sit for a minute so the sweetened condensed milk can make its way to the bottom, before placing in the oven.
13) Bake cupcakes for 23-25 minutes until golden brown on top.
14) Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about ten minutes and then place on a cooling rack. The bottoms of the cupcakes will be greasy with butter. Let them cool completely. Most of the greasiness tends to go away as the cupcake cools.
7 Layer Magic Cupcakes Sweet Notes
These cupcakes have a lot of ingredients and fill up the cupcake liners fast. Make sure you tightly pack in the graham cracker crumbs, and then lightly press down after each new additional layer
Feel free to leave ingredients out if you're not a fan
We used brown cupcake liners and have not yet experimented with lighter colored liners, so proceed with caution if doing so, as we are unsure if grease marks come through